Hi friends, I hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday! I am personally hoping today is better than yesterday because my new pup decided to poop in my car…. still not over it. Anyways, I wanted to make a post directed more toward incoming freshmen. Around this time two years ago, my roomie and I were picking out all our different color schemes and fabric prints. Freshmen year is such a exciting time because you are finally a young adult trying to find your way in the world. It’s also a time in which parents worry constantly. One of my moms top priority was to make sure I had a “home” like feeling coming back to my dorm room. Throughout this post, I will discuss the essentials to a great first year in college!
**My freshmen year I attended Ole Miss and lived in Crosby however now I attend The University of Alabama**
- Use your space wisely – I literally cannot stress this enough. Dorm rooms are so small as is, you do not need clutter everywhere. Bring bins, boxes, or even loft your beds for storage like my roomie and I did. Be creative and find unique spots to store things.
- If you’re sharing your space, I recommend coordinating to some degree. Some people aren’t into coordinating, but I think when living in a space that small, it really ties the room together. You don’t have to have exact patters, just the same scheme of colors would work!
- Limit your paintings/mirrors – Ok so for me, rush was a big part of my freshman year (go girl go DG). At Ole Miss we rush about 6 weeks into the school year. So once we do rush, your walls fill up with your sorority canvases. I had purchased so many paintings that ultimately some had to go home due to limited wall space.
- Shoe rack in closet (again with utilizing space)
- SHOWER SHOES!!!! – Y’all, community showers are gross, for heavens sake please don’t be that girl who doesn’t wear shower shoes.
- Fun pillows
- Air-purifier – College is like kindergarten. You are exposed to so many illnesses you are sick ALL the time. This is especially crucial in older dorms in which mine was. We went as far as putting a air filter in front of the vent.
- Most importantly have fun 🙂